Background checks are a key aspect to ensuring our drivers are fit and capable of working with us. All Sherpa drivers signing up on or after 20 Dec 2019 will need to complete a background check through WorkPro.
1. Why are background checks compulsory across the Sherpa platform?
Background checks are a minimum requirement set by more and more new Clients. Drivers that do not meet those requirements will not be able to access those jobs on the Sherpa app. Implementing background checks helps drivers not only book more jobs from new clients, but existing clients will also be more willing to send more high-value items via Sherpa (as this is one of the most common requests we get).
2. What is included in the background check?
The background check consists of an Australian Police Check and Work Rights Check. You can apply for a new police check (roughly $45) or upload an existing one via WorkPro. Both checks will be fulfilled by the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC). You will receive the WorkPro instructions in a separate email.
3. Can I use an existing police check and how do I upload this?
You can use an existing Australian Police Check that was issued less than a year ago and for the purpose "Courier" or “Delivery Driver Services" in the transportation or logistics sector. Police checks with different purposes will be reviewed and accepted/rejected on a case-by-case basis. You can upload your Check in WorkPro by following the prompts. For data security reasons, we cannot accept a Check uploaded to the Sherpa app. All Police Checks must be completed using WorkPro.
4. Why does the purpose of an existing police check matter?
As per the Australian Federal Police, the purpose matters because of this: https://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/services/criminal-records/frequently-asked-questions
5. What happens if I don't complete a background check?
You are of course free to decide not to go ahead with a background check, that is completely up to you. You are an independent contractor and are free to choose if you want to do Sherpa deliveries. If you chose not to complete this, you will lose access to the platform by 1 March 2020. Again, the cost of a background check is your business decision and we respect the outcome of this regardless.
6. I have a disclosable court outcome on my record. Does my account get unapproved because of this?
Not necessarily. If you have a Summary Offence on your record: depending on the type of offence, whether or not you were convicted, and how long ago the offence took place, your account might not get unapproved. Convicted Indictable Offences (serious crimes) will likely lead to account unapproval due to the nature of courier services.
UPDATE: We have been receiving requests regarding what constitute relevant summary offences. Although all disclosable court outcomes will be assessed on a case by case basis, the following convictions are considered relevant for providing delivery driving services:
- Driving and road usage convictions within the last 5 years;
- Serious driving and road usage convictions within the last 10 years, i.e. causing direct loss of license
- Repeat driving and road usage convictions
- Theft, fraud and dishonesty convictions within the last 10 years
- Repeat theft, fraud and dishonesty convictions
- Assault and violence convictions within the last 10 years
- Repeat assault and violence convictions