How do I provide Proof of Address?

  • Updated

If the address listed on your Sherpa account does not match the address on your driver licence, or you hold an international driver's license, we might ask you to provide us with an alternative Proof of Address. 


Which alternative documents can you use for Proof of Address?

  • A contract of purchase or current lease or rental document for the specified address (a receipt only is not acceptable)

  • Australian Taxation Office Assessment (last or current financial year)

  • Utility accounts relating to the street address (Electricity, Gas, Telephone or Water) paid within the last 3 months or a bank statement received within the last 3 months


If you need to upload one of these documents to provide an alternative Proof of Address, you will receive a separate link to WorkPro where you can upload these.

Share this article

Was this article helpful?

Need some help?

Reach out to our support team today, and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.

Get in touch